family

family

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day One of Our New Life

     Day one in Rhode Island started like any other. Oh wait! I've never woken up in Rhode Island! This is the first day ever. Weird.
     So, we started by looking at apartments. For those of you who have done this, you know how much it sucks. My dreams we crushed by one prospective apartment that I have been looking into for over a month now. It was tiny, not up to date, and kind of a sketchy neighborhood. I left feeling unhappy, and unmotivated to continue. I told Adam, "We've made a huge mistake moving here. Let's just go home to Utah." We returned to our basement camp (for those who don't know, we are crashing with my sister-in-law's little brother and wife who have just recently moved to RI...Thank goodness for them!)
     During all of the apartment nonsense, Adam and I had driven by the Johnson and Wales Harbourside Campus to take a quick look. We checked out the near by neighborhoods, and found a little house for rent very near the campus. Adam called, left a message, and we went on our way.
     During my defeated moment of contemplating moving back to Utah with or without Adam, Adam received a call from Bernie. Praise the heavens for Bernie. We met up with Bernie, the realtor (a small-ish, flamboyant, good-natured, happy-go-lucky, told us his entire life story in the first 30 seconds type man). We met the owners of the home (a super cute, older couple from some foreign country, maybe Portugal?) Loved them! Love the apartment! It was everything I had been dreaming of, and then some (an hour earlier Adam told me that I wouldn't be able to find the apartment of my dreams for the cheap price I wanted...little did he know :)
     We said goodbye to Bernie, and went off on a contemplation drive around town. I happened to be driving and saw a cute little park-type thing. I pulled off and we discovered, the ocean. I forgot that we were so close to the ocean. Go figure!
     We happened upon these lovely creatures (no, not ducks, swans). There were hundreds. It was a perfect spot to stop and think. So, we hiked to the rock wall (I think it's called a water break, don't quote me on that) and weighed our options. After an hour, we came to a general consensus, that 105 Alabama Avenue Providence, Rhode Island, was right for us. We were so excited we took a few photos, and then returned to the car.
     We returned to our basement camp, filled out the application, and drove to Bernie's multi-million dollar home. On our return to basement camp, we happened to see some festivities going on in Cranston. So, naturally we pulled over to have a look. Thank goodness we did. Otherwise we would have missed the Saint Mary's Feast Party! And boy was it a party!
     Adam snaked on a cannoli, and lobster tail (it's also a pastry, filled with cream goodness, and dusted with powdered sugar). To sum up day one, I would describe it as a roller coaster of emotion. I didn't even cry!

P.S. Feel free to Google Map the apartment, and check out the street view. It's super cute. You'll all be jealous! And yes, it is the cute white one with the red door. 105 Alabama Ave Providence, RI.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! I'm so happy you found a perfect place so quickly!

    ReplyDelete