family

family

Monday, August 15, 2011

Life in Rhode Island

Things are beginning to pick up around these parts. No, I don't have a job, but I do have internet! Can you say Hallelujah?! I've been singing the praises of internet for 5 minutes now!

On a different note. Adam and I drove around Roger Williams Park (remember I've mentioned it before?) to take photos of all the crazy statues. We were only able to capture about half of the statues before my camera battery died. I will now grace you all with a few of our favorites.
We call this one "Punching Eagle" Adam's favorite
Abe Lincoln, always classic...but why in RWP?
This is the plaque under Abe. Read it. Then read it again. It's weird.
Trumpet man. No plaque to indicate who he is or why it's there
There are many, many more statues, but I just don't have the time or the room on this post.

Now, let's move on to Water Fire. What is Water Fire you might be asking. Let me explain. Water Fire is an event that happens during the Summer months in Providence. It takes place in downtown Providence. Thousands of people gather from all over to see a glorious spectacular. Fire, on water. Crazy, right? They light huge cauldrons on the river that runs throughout Providence. It's beautiful! The pictures don't do it justice. You'll just have to come to RI and see it for yourself. It starts by parading the fire in on the streets to the boats below.
 Then all of the cauldrons are lite on at a time, throughout the entire river.

Different view of the river



 We continued our journey around the city, and started discovering that Water Fire was more than just fire on water. There were live bands all around the city. There were vendors and entertainers. There were also some crazy bananas hanging around the streets.
How cute, right? Come see for yourself.
 We discovered these sweet statue people all around town. There were oracles, riddle makers, gargoyles, gold ladies, etc. They were super cool! The other photos I took didn't turn out well (it was dark and my camera sucks). It totally looks like a real statue doesn't it?
 The best part of the evening was the salsa band we happened upon. They had a live band and large stage for people to dance on. I was so tempted to get on the dance floor and shake it. Sadly for me, Adam chickened out last minute and wouldn't dance with me. He hates to make a spectacle of himself. I was supremely sad. Everyone looked like they were having a blast! So I took to watching the awesome couples shake it on the
dance floor. Maybe next Water Fire we'll dance.
Here is just a sample of the awesome-ness of that evening.

2 comments:

  1. I find myself jealous of all the fun you are having!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I should have Zack teach Adam how to salsa dance. I taught Zack and he does really well. Sounds like you want people to come visit! haha. I know that we will want to so who knows we might come visit sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete